Saturday, June 11, 2011

THE GREAT CUPCAKE TRILOGY PART 2: MELEE IN THE MIDDLE


After a pretty darn delicious cupcake made its way out of my oven, I wanted to try dressing it up a bit.  Aaaand, to be honest, I thought this a great opportunity to knock off a jar of jam.  I've filled plenty of chocolate cakes with jam, so it didn't seem like much of a stretch.  But that was your ol' run-of-the-mill raspberry.  What did I have?  Fig, cherry, plum, berry rhubarb, and carrot.   Hmmm...what to do...what to do.....  Damn.  Gonna have to sacrifice a cupcake.

I hadn't opened the carrot yet and since I didn't think that was going to be a good fit anyway, I scrapped that idea pretty quickly.  After careful consideration (a.k.a. tasting; what a shame), I had to go with the rhubarb & berry preserves.  It both worked with the cupcake and fit through the decorating tip I had to use for injecting the jam.

Unfortunately, four days later (waiting for the baby shower) the flavors settled together.  The strong coffee essence came out to battle with the tartness of the jam and not in a great way.  That jam would have been perfect if the cupcake had no coffee.  That cupcake would have been perfect jam-free.  Lesson learned: sometimes flavors can hang together; sometimes flavors try to beat the crap out of each other.

But the story doesn't end there....before four days had passed and I had realized a bit of editing was necessary, it was too late -- I'd topped the cupcakes with (smh) marshmallow fondant....Stay tuned for that climactic conclusion....

No comments:

Post a Comment