Sunday, October 16, 2011

CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER GRAHAMS


Hmmm...what to do, what to do.  Ya got four graham crackers left and what's your next move?  Well, I'm not one to just eat the dang things plain because this is an adventure.  I've got stuff to get rid of.  I'm not eating anything plain.  

My chocolate, having a seizure
So, before I begin, I'll tell you this one went awry, but let's make this a learning experience.  When you want to make your melted chocolate smoother, do not -- I REPEAT DO NOT -- add milk or water.  I had a perfectly good bowl of melted white chocolate, which I used half of, but I wanted it to drizzle, so I found out the hard way that adding even a tablespoon of milk will cause it to seize.   I even tried to add pieces of a chocolate bar to fix it.  No dice.

Seizing: a little internet enlightenment led me to this lovely word.  Before, I had no idea what it was. Seizing means that upon contact with water-based liquids, your chocolate will turn grainy and the moisture will separate out.  No more creamy.    How to avoid this?  Add oil instead. The short story: I started out with white chocolate chips and had to dip into my reserve chocolate stash to finish the job.


INGREDIENTS:
4 graham crackers
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/2 c. white chocolate chips
3/4 c. milk chocolate (chips, that is, but I had to use chocolate balls.  That's right.  Balls.)
1 tbsp. oil

DIRECTIONS:
1. Lay out waxed paper onto two baking sheets.

2. Carefully break graham crackers into fours.  I recommend using the heel of your hands -- not your fingers -- to avoid breaking them into small pieces.


3. Spread graham crackers with peanut butter.


4. Melt white chocolate chips in the microwave on a low or medium setting -- NOT HIGH (you will burn the shit out of your chocolate) -- and stir every 30 seconds or so.

5. Use a spoon to spread the chocolate onto the underside of each graham cracker.  (btw, this is where I f---ed up the chocolate because I wanted to drizzle the second half onto the top.)  Lay out on waxed paper.


6. Put trays into refrigerator or freezer to chill until chocolate is hard.

Step 6.5: Unwrap your balls.
7. Melt milk chocolate and mix in oil.  Use spoon to carefully spread chocolate over top and sides of graham, enclosing the graham and peanut butter completely.


7. Allow to cool and then eat voraciously.

I think this would probably be best with just milk chocolate, since the white chocolate made these a little on the sweeter side.  You could even try dark chocolate, but I think these really land best on middle ground.  What's great is they're small enough so as not to be overwhelming, but big enough to satisfy your sweet tooth.  I took these to work and they went like hot cakes.  One guy said they were really sweet and he couldn't eat the whole thing, but some people had two, so it all evens out.  And better yet, when offered the next day, people were asking for them, which means my coworkers weren't just saying they like them to be nice.

Official Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment