Saturday, September 17, 2011

EASY CROCKPOT CHILI


You know those weeks when you can just barely get through the day without 500 people wanting something from you?  Those weeks when you barely get enough sleep to make sentences -- even with the aid of Starbucks -- and you'd could call in sick if only your absence didn't cause more work for you?  You know, the weeks where a trip to the grocery store is completely out of the question and making a hot meal is like ripping out your very own soul?

Have no fear -- Crockpot Chili is here!  This is one of those meals I keep going back to, not just because it's as easy as updating your Facebook status, not just because it's delicious, but because you can buy the ingredients pretty far in advance in anticipation of just such a circumstance.  The only things that are perishable in this recipe are ground beef (freeze it!) and an onion, which lasts a pretty long darn time.  All the rest are canned and before you chastise me for making a meal from canned foods, 1) actually try it and 2) take note of the venti latte to which you are so dearly clinging.  Nuff said?


INGREDIENTS:
1 lb lean ground beef or ground turkey
1 small onion, chopped
1 28oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 15oz can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 15oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 15oz can chili beans
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 4oz can chopped green chilies
1-2 tbsp chili powder



DIRECTIONS:
1. Brown meat and cook onion through.  Drain and discard any fat.  Transfer to crockpot.


2. Add canned items and the chili powder (I prefer one tablespoon 'cause I'm a wuss) and cook on High for 6-8 hours or until done.  That's it!



I used beef this time, which I think is better, but I've used turkey before and it's also good.  In fact, this began as a recipe I got from Slow Cooker Recipes for All Occasions, which has some other great selections.  The original called for black beans and garbanzo beans, but I always thought the garbanzos never cooked right and one time I went to get all my beans, Target only had great northern beans, kidney beans, and chili beans.  An excellent accident!  I think the chili has been much improved upon.

I recommend serving with cheese (I love mozzarella; my family likes a Mexican blend) and/or sour cream.  Also note there is no added salt here, so if you want, add salt as needed.

Considering I make this all the time and it continues to be scrum-diddly-umptious AND considering I've made it for my aunt, uncle, and cousins and they annihilated it, I'm gonna say this passes with flying colors and extra credit.

Official Grade: A+





No comments:

Post a Comment