Tuesday, September 27, 2011

VEGGIE & CHEESE SOUP PASTA


Until now, I've only known Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup to be a broccoli covering.  (In case you've never done it, heat up a can without adding anything to it. Goes great on vegetables.)  So why not put it on vegetables on pasta, eh?  Turns out this was a pretty neat idea, especially if you need something filling in a hurry.


INGREDIENTS:
6 oz. egg noodles
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1/4 cup milk
1 package frozen brussels sprouts
1 package frozen asparagus
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
1. Cook noodles in salted water.  Drain and set aside.
2. Before opening bag, snap asparagus spears into 1-2 inch pieces.  You'll have to do this by feel, but it's better than trying to cut them once they're cooked.


If you do miss a few, though, just snip those suckers with some kitchen scissors....


3. Cook asparagus and brussels sprouts according to package directions.
4. Heat cheese soup and milk in a saucepan and mix until smooth.


5. Combine noodles, veggies, and cheese sauce.  Add salt and pepper to taste.


If I were to do this again, I'd boil the brussels sprouts instead of steaming them.  They're a great vegetable, but their bitter flavor is a little to much for me when steamed.  Also, you might consider broccoli, cauliflower, or green beans as alternatives if you don't like the veggies I used.  It's no gourmet, but this is a good I-need-something-quick meal.

In the future, I'd like to try another version with some parmesan, asiago, or fontina for a stronger cheese flavor, and I'd probably add some chunks of ham too.  Although I like mac and cheese, I don't like it greasy and I think meat and veggies jazz it up a bit.  If YOU have a great Mac & Cheese+ recipe, I'd love for you to share it below.  I heart cheese, so I'm ready for you to blow my mind.

Official Grade: B



No comments:

Post a Comment