Friday, May 27, 2011

INVENTORY

I’m just gonna come right out and say it.  I’m a food hoarder.  I mean, it’s not like I’ve been diagnosed by a professional, but this must be the case.  No human being needs as large a store of food as I have.  The upside is that, at the moment, I’m completely prepared for a zombie apocalypse. 

I think this all stems from (wait for it...waaaaiiit for iiiit….) my childhood.  Super cliché, right?  But it’s true!  Case in point: Halloween.  I would come home with a pillowcase full of chocolate and other sugary items (plus one toothbrush; go dentist) and what would I do?  Eat the Smarties first.  And did I like Smarties?  No sirreeee Bob.  So wtf, you say.  Well, I was saving the chocolate (especially the Snickers) for special occasions – that moment when I really wanted one because we could only afford to buy the essentials and Almond Joy wasn’t on that list.  So that’s the key: I’ve always held on to what I could in case I needed it later.

But later is now and I’m about to throw down.  Foodstuffs, you are my nemeses.  To help guide me (and you, so you don’t think I’m changing the game as I go), I’ve created a list of rules to which I must adhere:

ZE RULES
  1. I can create any meal I want as long as it consists of ingredients I already have in my refrigerator, freezer, or kitchen cabinets.
  2. I have to finish off perishables before they spoil.
  3. I can dine out, but if I have leftovers I have to bring them home and consume them before I make another meal.
  4. Until I have two items left (not counting condiments or staples), the only groceries I can buy are beverages and Cheerios.
Why the exceptions, you ask? 
  • Well, beverages and Cheerios are things I never waste and consume consistently every day.  Unfortunately I don’t have time to cook breakfast – with rare exceptions it’s pretty much been cereal every day since college.  
  • I’m hell bent on getting rid of all the condiments and all the staples so I can start fresh with what I really need, but both you and I know that if I have a quarter cup of flour, two tablespoons of mustard, and a half can of baking powder, that is a recipe for a little thing I like to call “gross.”
  • Two items left:  My personal goal is to have NO items left, but if I have a planning blunder and end up with chocolate and Brussels sprouts, let’s be real; I’m not eating that.
  • Also, the “dine out” stipulation is so I can actually have a social life.
  • And finally, if I’m not reasonable with myself, I’m liable to throw in the towel.  This gives me at least some leeway to not be a pansy.
· 
And now the moment you’ve all been waiting for: HERE BEGINETH THE INVENTORY. 

Cabinet
1 box
Betty Crocker Au Gratin Potatoes

2 cans
Chunk light tuna in water

3 bags
Orville Redenbacher’s Smart Pop! 100 Calorie Bags

1 bottle
(18 oz.)  Sweet Baby Ray’s barbecue sauce

1 bag
Tasty Bite Bangkok Beans

1 bottle
 (12 oz.) honey dijon mustard

1 box
Tuna Helper Creamy Broccoli

1 can
(15 oz) Black beans

1 can
Campbell’s Chicken Tuscany soup

5 cups
(2.5 oz each) Single serve peanut butter

1 can
(10.75 oz) Cream of chicken soup

1 can
(15 oz) Kidney beans

1 can
(15 oz) White beans

1 can
(10.75 oz) Tomato soup

1 can
(12.5 oz) Canned chicken in water

1 can
(8 oz) Tomato sauce

2 cans
(14.5 oz) diced peeled tomatoes

1 can
(14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with onion, celery, and green pepper

1 can
(15 oz) chili beans

1 can
(8.25 oz) sliced beets

1 can
(10.75 oz) Cheddar cheese soup

1 can
(14 oz) artichoke hearts

1 bag
Roasted garlic potato corn soup mix

1 jar
(10 oz) carrot jam

1 jar
(2.45 oz) dark cherry butter

1 jar
(2.45 oz) plum preserves

1 bag
Baked Tostitos Scoops

1 box
Beefed-up barley soup mix

1 box
Seafood veggie chowder soup mix

15
Graham crackers

1 jar
Dry roasted peanuts

1 lb.
Lasagna noodles

1
Mushroom noodle soup bowl

6 oz.
Egg noodles

1 handful
Whole wheat rotini

1 cup
Short grain brown rice

2 cups
Long grain brown rice

1.5 cups
Cous cous

1 bag
(14 oz.) Thin rice sticks (noodles)

1 bag
(14 oz.) Wide rice sticks (noodles)

1 jar
(12.5 oz) Pumpkin butter

2 lbs.
Raisins

1 box
(16 oz) elbow macaroni

1 box
Cornbread stuffing

1.5 bags
(18 oz) fruit and berry trail mix

1 box
Hamburger Helper Stroganoff

1 box
Tuna Helper Cheesy Pasta

1 box
Whole Grain Hamburger Helper Cheeseburger Macaroni

3 sleeves
Saltine crackers

1 bottle
Sparkling apple cider

1 box
Beer bread mix

1 box
Apple cinnamon muffin mix

2 cups
Polenta

2 cups
Grits

1 carton
(16 oz) Matzo meal

3 cups
Flax meal

1 cup
Crushed peanuts

1 cup
Sunflower seeds

1.5 cups
Dates

½ cup
Sliced almonds

1 handful
Whole almonds

2 cups
Flax seeds

1.5 cups
Pumpkin seeds

1 bag
Chocolate melts

1 sm bag
Dried potatoes

1.5 cups
Prunes

1.5 cups
Dried cranberries

1 box
(18 oz) Eating Right granola cereal

1 bag
(12 oz) Maple Crunch granola

1 bag
(individual) bran cereal

1 bag
(individual) Kashi puffed wheat cereal

5 cups
Pancake mix

2 cans
(4 oz) diced green chiles

1 box
Dark chocolate brownie mix

4 cups
Long grain white rice

1 box
Individual Crystal Light lemonade packets


tea

6 cups
Cornmeal

½ cup
Slivered almonds

½ cup
Dry yeast

3 lbs
Powdered sugar

1 box
Brown sugar

1 ½ canisters
Hershey’s cocoa

1 bag
Cinnamon sticks

1 box
Corn starch

2 canisters
Baking powder

1 ½ cups
Splenda brown sugar blend for baking

1 bag
Splenda sugar blend for baking

1 ½ cups
Turbinado sugar

2 cups
Wheat germ

5 cups
Biscuit mix

10 cups
White flour

8 cups
Wheat flour

8 cups
Sugar

1 bag
(16 oz) mini marshmallows

1 packet
Taco seasoning mix

1 packet
Fajita seasoning mix

1 packet
Beef stew seasoning mix

1 packet
Sloppy joe seasoning

1 packet
Gobi spice blend

1 packet
Tandoori chicken spice mix

1 cup
Protein powder
Freezer
½ carton
Mint cookie crunch ice cream

7 ¼  sticks
Margarine

½ stick
Butter

4 boxes
Amy’s Indian Mattar Paneer frozen dinner

1
Lean Cuizine mini pepperoni pizza

1
Healthy Choice chicken parmigiana dinner

7
Fruit Chillers Freeze & Eat tubes (strawberry)

1 ¼ lb.
Lean ground beef

3 bags
(12 oz) cranberries

14 oz.
Extra firm tofu

40 oz.
Boneless skinless chicken breast tenders

4
Crunchy breaded fish fillets

1
8 oz bag asparagus

1
12 oz bag asparagus

1 bag
(14 oz) whole green beans

1 bag
(16 oz) Brussels sprouts

1 bag
(16 oz) cauliflower

1 bag
(16 oz) broccoli

2/3 pkg.
Frozen spinach

2
Roasted chicken patties
Fridge
1 bulb
Garlic

1 loaf
Sliced 12-grain bread

¼ loaf
Unsliced wheat bread

1 ½ cups
Butterscotch chips

2 cups
White chocolate chips

1 bottle
Ketchup

2 tbsp
Sweet Baby Ray’s barbecue sauce

1.5 bottles
Worcestershire sauce

1 bottle
Oyster flavored sauce

1 bottle
Honey

1 jar
Chili garlic sauce

1 box
Junior mint inside-outs

1 lb.
Butter

1 jar
sliced pepperoncini

3 packets
Soy sauce

9 packets
Mild Taco Bell Border Sauce

4 packets
Verde Taco Bell Border Sauce

As much as I want!
Milk

8 oz
Almond butter

2
Onions

16 packs
String cheese

1/3 bottle
Cranberry juice

10
Eggs

1 jar
(24 oz) salsa

1
Large fuji apple

3 tbsp
Raspberry jam

1 jar
(9.5 oz) rhubarb & berry fruit spread

1 jar
(10 oz) fig preserves

½ liter
Sparkling water

2 tbsp.
Peanut butter

1 bottle
Hot sauce

1 bottle
Chai soda

1 jar
Pickle sandwich slices

½ slice
Smoked gouda

¼ cup
Parmesan cheese

7
Chocolate covered Oreo cookies

3
Stale rolls

1 jar
Butter chips

1 jar
Green olives

2/3 bottle
Grenadine


Go head.  Judge me.  I can take it.  I know I have too much shit.  But I’m trying and that’s what this is all about anyway.  If you’re brave enough, hop on my Facebook Page and send me some pictures of your fridges, freezers, and cabinets.  Maybe that will inspire me. 

And for my next trick...I'll organize this for you a bit.  I have some meals in mind already so I'll pull those ingredients off the list and put things into categories just to make it a bit (okay, a whole effing lot) more manageable.

8 comments:

  1. Perhaps you could make a lasagna, of sorts, with the lasagna noodles, tomato sauce, spinach and perhaps some of the tofu crumbled up with some onions and garlic. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...that might work! And I could lay waste to the rest of the string cheese I need to use up. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm concerned that you're going to HAVE to replace some items in order to make some of these things. For example, once you burn through those 10 eggs you have now, you'll have a hard time making any box bread mixes, etc. since most of those things require adding the "wet" ingredients at the time of preparation. Same goes for produce. You may need to get another onion or garlic bulb to add to the things you're making once the ones you have now are gone. Have you considered giving yourself an allowance for that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only need 3 eggs for the boxed bread mixes. The brownies (trust me) and the beer bread (pizza crust) won't require eggs, so that covers me there. I'm aware that any cookies or breads I make will have to come first and may have to be made and frozen, and then the rest will have to be biscuity sconey type things. I've got designs on some granola bars too. As for onions and garlic, I actually shouldn't be eating onions (heartburn) and I have garlic powder in my spice arsenal. I know I'm gonna regret this later, but to finally answer your question, nope -- no allowances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah! And you should make biscuits to eat with your single serve soup, but you need to get on that before your eggs go bad...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dark cherry butter? Bangkok beans? Who are you?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My personal favorite is the fig preserves, rhubarb and berry fruit spread, raspberry jam, almond butter, pumpkin butter, plum preserves, dark cherry butter, carrot jam.... and 3 stale rolls. I've never seen you put jam, spread or butter of any kind on anything. I suggest you start by putting some on those stale rolls. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Ali: Excellent idea! Even better -- the biscuits I make don't need eggs.

    @Kristin: I like to walk on the wild side.

    @Danielle: You just shush. I eat PB&J all the time.

    ReplyDelete