Sunday, May 29, 2011

APPLE RAISIN BRAN MUFFINS


Alright, let's get this show on the road here.  For my first feat of strength, I'll be making a little muffin magic with the boxed apple cinnamon muffin mix, not because I'm a coward, mind you, but because it's pretty much the only thing on my list that requires a perishable item.  With everything else, I can make do, but this is a no-brainer.  Get the muffins out of the way and we're off to a good start.  Aaaaaand (drum roll please...) now I can happily check the following items off my list.  Booyah!

INGREDIENTS:
1 box Fiber One apple cinnamon muffin mix
2 eggs
1 cup raisins
3/4 cups water


I've made this mix before and found that these particular muffins are a little plain.  And what an awesome opportunity to create baked chaos!  Yes, I know I'm not really living on the edge by adding raisins.  But I did consider chopped prunes at one point.  Given their mushiness, though, I was worried that the mix wouldn't hold up.  For now, it's all about the shrivelly grapes.  Also, I left out the oil that the original directions called for.  It's about as necessary as Paris Hilton.

Look!  It's so sad without raisins....
DIRECTIONS:
Pretty simple.  Throw that shit in a bowl and mix it up so all the ingredients get friendly.  Then, bake it 'til it's awesome.

But seriously:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
  2. Combine mix, eggs, and water until smooth.
  3. Mix in raisins.
  4. Pour into muffin tins and bake for 15-20 minutes.  (You'll know they're done when you poke a muffin and your stick comes out clean.)

Now, given that it wasn't really a big stretch, I have to say I'm proud of myself for taking a leap of faith and not just going by the box.  And even better, it inspired me to go off-book for my next creation -- Asparagus & Artichoke Pizza.  

FINAL THOUGHTS:
Although they could be a bit more moist, I'd say these are a rather delicious little snacky.  They probably would have been more moist if I'd added the oil, but that's a trade I'm willing to make.
Official Grade: A-

I'm on my way folks!  And keep those suggestions coming.  I continue to be amazed at the prospect of cooking things I didn't think could be combined legally.


No comments:

Post a Comment