Tuesday, May 31, 2011

PANCAKES GO KAPUT


Don't get too excited.  The pancakes I made didn't look as delicious as this, but the imagery will make sense in a moment.

I'd like to make this official: the pancake mix has bit the dust, and I don't mean because I ate it all.  I ate some of it, in fact, and did a few experiments trying to make stuffed pancakes, pancake puffs, pancakes with almonds, pancakes with cranberries, and pancakes with prunes.  Given that this was 10-grain pancake mix, I wasn't really surprised when the pancakes I made were a little less than desirable.  That's the price you pay sometimes for a little extra fiber.  But after tasting 5 types of pancakes with not much improvement, I reached my final conclusion: this is either the nastiest tasting pancake mix ever or something's wrong with it.  It's too bitter to be right.

So, of course, I wanted to double-check and I let my fingers do the walking (in other words, I Googled it).  I'm thinking, "Can pancake mix actually go bad?" Answer: YES.  Apparently pancake mix can grow mold.  And if you're allergic to mold like I am, that pancake mix can kill you.  Confirmed by Snopes.  I checked.

Now, I'm not going into anaphylactic shock or anything and I can't confirm that I actually ate mold, but I'm not willing to take the risk.  Plus, the bitter aftertaste I'm still getting an hour later is something to be reckoned with, so my best course of action is to send that shite to meet its maker.

It's evil.  Evil, I tell you.  You can officially cross this off this little demon of the list with a big fat grade of F.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info and the post. I am glad you are ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, be safe! Maybe it needed an egg??? lol...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the well wishes, ladies. I just wanted to be cautious, let you all know the fate of the pancake mix, and share a safety fact with you that I wouldn't have learned if I hadn't tasted that stuff in the first place. It seems to be a pretty rare occurrence, but something people should know about nonetheless.

    Also - Factoid O' the Day: Rye can develop a fungus from which the original formula for LSD was derived. It also causes ergotism, which can cause the body to contort and convulse. It's thought that that little Salem Witch thing may have just been a result of the townspeople consuming a bit o' fungi-fied rye flour.

    @ Ali: Oh, it GOT an egg. What a waste. Errrgh....

    ReplyDelete