Sunday, November 20, 2011

TOMATO-BEET PASTA SAUCE


The good thing about technical difficulties is that when other people have them, sometimes they pay you in trade. The second good thing about other people having technical difficulties is that they keep happening, and you keep getting paid.  For me, it's in tomaters.  And I got a second round of them.  Since last time I copped out with sun-dried tomatoes, I thought I'd honor these lovely little bombs of flavor with a sauce that put them in the spotlight.

And this being Mutant Meals, I couldn't just make plain tomato sauce.  I had to mutantize it.  With beets. And believe it or not, it's actually pretty delish.


INGREDIENTS:*
2 tbsp butter
1 clove garlic
2 medium-sized tomatoes
1 can beets
2 tbsp. beet juice, reserved from can
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
*Note: This makes a very small portion of tomato sauce, maybe for two or three plates.

DIRECTIONS:
1. Chop tomatoes and set aside.
2. Puree beets in a food processor and set aside.
3. Melt butter in saucepan or skillet on medium low.  Add garlic and sautee for a few seconds.


4. Add tomatoes and cook for about 5 minutes until broken down.


5. Combine seasonings together in a small bowl.
6. Add seasoning and beet puree and simmer for 10 minutes.



I actually really like this one, plus it's all my own.  The only recommendation I would give is to leave out either the chili powder or the pepper since it was a little to spicy for my taste.  I have friends, however (Mike, that's you), who would consider this mild.  I'd like to try this with a bit more tomatoes and maybe as a cream sauce, but I'd make it again.

Also, I ate it all up with rice noodles, which was the best I had to offer, but I'm sure it would be ten times better with a good spaghetti or angel hair.

Official Grade: B+







No comments:

Post a Comment